Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mariners Church: Day One

Today was a very eventful first day...a first day that shall {quite literally} never be matched. I've highlighted the important bits for you skimmers.

I began the morning with a few tears {obviously, I'm a little bit of a cry baby} as I explained to my new team members the anxiety I was having over being the new kid in the office...They all, kindly, laughed at me and told me that I was not even "that new" and that they "love my tears".

Off to a good start.

A few meetings later...it's lunchtime.

Cole, Buddy and I have regular College Ministry meetings on Tuesday and {thankfully} it was a lunch meeting today...no sitting in the phone booth for me {take that DJ!}

Post lunch, I went house-hunting with Emily {one of the girls in my college small group.} She had done a pre-search and had a list of phone numbers and prices. We drove around Corona Del Mar as she called place after place to hear availability and rent...finally, a woman agreed to meet us in 45 minutes to show her place.

We saw it. We loved it. She loved us. She's drawing up the papers and we'll sign tomorrow...I will live in the flower streets in Corona Del Mar! I am really excited.

So excited, in fact, that I thought "Sure! I'll take the downhill skateboarding challenge! Matt can do it, how tough can it be?" {Keep in mind, I'm wearing a super long dress and ballet flats}

Well...Coming down the first hill, I couldn't control my speed...I yelled "I'm gonna eat it!" and jumped off my board...I landed in this order: feet, knees, elbows, hand, forehead. Brian, who had ridden nearby said, "I saw it coming, but couldn't do anything to stop it, so I just slowed down to watch it happen."

With help from Jared, I have 5 of the biggest band-aids I've ever seen: three on my knees, one on my elbow and one on my left-hand middle finger {which somehow took the biggest beating of any part of my body while all of my other fingers are scratch-free.} I was also given an ice pack, then a meat patty, another ice pack and a bag of frozen peas to bring down the swelling in my now Quasimodo-looking brow-line...awesome.

Following a house-hunt and skateboard crash with a delicious Maguire spaghetti dinner {including Kayla, Matt and Buddy} is a really great way to finish off a first day...

Here's hoping Day 2 is equally as fun, but not as physically painful...

5 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

I am singing, "All I wanna do is have some fun...I've got a feeling, the party has just begun..."
{I think it's that line 'but I'm sure it's Bill or Kayla or Matt or Buddy'}

I LOVE the Flower streets in Corona Del Mar! I want to live there too! Did you know they are in alphabetical order? So YOU!!

Sorry about your skateboard accident--but I am glad you are living life and have the scars to prove that NOTHING is going to get in your way!

You are loved.
Here's to your 2nd day.
Perhaps you should wear a helmet into the office...

b.hurst said...

welcome to mariners!

PETE Di LALLO said...

Are you calling me a SKIMMER?
Then you'RE a SKINNER!
Hard to believe you went to the Dark Continent with hardly a scratch and you almost wipe yourself out in Corona Del Mar...
Sorry, it ain't funny...
Congrats on your living location...Bum and I will bring lunch for you and then go to the beach later...
Have a safe day...
XOXOXO

Shea Sanden said...

Hey i think my brother just moved down there! you might be neighbors.

Glad you had a good first day!

Lisa Marie said...

You are so B.A.